Deadline: Not Specified
POSITION: Reading Specialist
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization.
Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative is seeking a Reading Specialist for an anticipated donor-funded project in Nigeria aiming to enable more effective state and non-state systems to deliver foundational skills to all children. The Reading Specialist provides overall technical oversight and guidance to the project’s support to improved reading instruction.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position is housed in Abuja, Nigeria, reporting to the Teacher Education Advisor.
- Supervise the production of all project reading material, all project trainings in reading, all teacher and classroom supervision and monitoring and all student testing efforts;
- Ensure complementarity of activity approaches in reading across the activity states, liaise with government representatives and technicians on technical matters, and bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that children impacted by the project achieve improved outcomes in reading; and
- Work directly with a Hausa language expert (particularly if the reading specialist is not conversant and fluent in written and spoken Hausa).
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in education, preferably with a specialty in early grade reading;
- At least eight (8) years of experience in programs in sub-Saharan Africa that work specifically to improve early grade reading is required;
- Prior experience with the development of early grade reading materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments, including EGRA, is required;
- Prior experience with supporting civil-society based monitoring of reading outcomes is required; and
- Professional proficiency and fluency in written and spoken English; fluency in written Hausa is preferred but not required.